Monday, September 20, 2010

Addendum to Genesis 3:1-2

I realize I misquoted the devil. I was reading the passage as if He asked Eve if she shouldn’t have eaten the fruit of the forbidden tree only. Instead he asks, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden?’” This actually makes my point from my previous post even more clearly. It is a baited question, designed to get Eve talking. It states a misconception inside a question. To really answer it requires two compete thoughts.
1 - The first is a direct answer, “No that’s not what God said.”
2 - The second is a clarification of what God actually said, “We may eat from any tree in the garden except the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.”

This particular question also conveniently steers the conversation in the direction of the forbidden fruit. Demons are very good at talking. It’s best not to engage them in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment